Sunday, July 26, 2009

My first Century Ride

I have a goal to do a Century Ride. When I made that goal, it was with the idea that a "century" ride was 100 miles. But they also have metric centuries and that's what I did yesterday.

It was a lot of fun, but very tiring. I went to bed at 8:00 pm and wasn't able to drag myself out until about 9:00 am this morning! Supposedly I burned over 2000 calories too.

My ride actually started when I biked to the Fremont BART station. Then I almost missed my stop! My ride was waiting for me though so we loaded up the bike in his truck and went to Alameda to meet the rest of the gang.

This bike ride was sponsored by Team Alameda, a biking club. It was my first ride with cyclists instead of triathletes. Except for the lack of aero bars and TT bikes, it really wasn't much different.

Well, okay, some of the cyclists were a lot more colorful than I am used to. One guy had on a white and magenta outfit and his bike had magenta stripes on the wheels and his bottles had magenta accents too. I was very impressed and a little jealous. My stuff doesn't match that well and I love to match!

These rides are a lot more social than the rides I am used to -- which are working rides. There was a lot more food too. This is part of why I figured I could make it through. I've only biked about 3.5 hours before and no more than 35 miles, but with a lot less stopping to eat. So I figured the lunch stop would make it more like two bike rides.

I was partially right about this, but our route included going the back way up something called Marshall Wall" (As in, you hit the wall). After that, I was kind of toast. Luckily it was all downhill after that until we hit The Cheese Factory for lunch.

After lunch, two people decided to ride back to the Marin Park & Ride with the SAG wagon. Yeah, that's right. Our ride had a SAG wagon! Jealous? You should be. I thought about it. Not because I didn't think I could do another 20 miles, but because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to do those 20 miles. But I figured I should at least try and, if I got too beat, I could always hail the SAG wagon and cry Uncle.

I started out okay, but got slower and slower and the back of the pack caught up to me as we pulled into the Park & Ride. The front of the pack got there way before that and had a bit of a spread going. So I got to chomp on strawberries and drink bottled water and recover a bit before we all went home again.

All-in-all, it was a good experience. I feel a little more prepared for Waves to Wine in September, too. But I think I need to find a weekly ride that is around 40 miles. Right now I knock off about 20-25 on my Thurs. ride and I'm getting pretty good at that distance. But Big Kahuna is 56 and Waves to Wine is 75 the first day and 50 the second. So I need to build up my distances.

I remember when I was working on doing 13 miles and never dreaming I'd be inching up on 50-100 mile rides. But now I want to be able to do the full imperial Century and, someday, an Ironman.
Post a Comment