Friday, September 4, 2015

You had ONE job. Just one

Yesterday marked the beginning of the two week period prior to racing in the ITU World Age Grouper Aquathlon Championships.

It has been shown that it generally takes ten to fourteen days for fitness gains to be incorporated into your body. 

What this means to me is that once I am two weeks out from a race, my main job -- my only job -- is to maintain my current fitness level while not injuring myself.

So what did I do yesterday? Went for a nine mile run to get ready for the San Jose Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon and tripped on absolutely nothing and hurt myself. 

Yes, I managed to fail in my one job the very first day!

I probably didn't really trip on "nothing." The ground is uneven on a trail. But I didn't trip on a rock or a tree root or anything I could see. I was probably just not picking up my feet enough.
I was going pretty fast too as it was slightly downhill. I landed on my left check -- the one on my face -- hard enough that my glasses flew off and the left arm was bent. I also slightly scraped up both knees and hurt my palms. Only one had road rash but both stung enough that I couldn't get up because it hurt to put weight on them. Luckily I was with a friend and she pulled me up.

Once up, I felt a bit battered, was sure I'd have a black and blue cheek at some point, but was basically okay. We continued running to the trail head where the group was reforming and, by the time the last runner showed up, I felt good enough to try to get all my mileage in.

I was pretty beat by the time I got to about 7.5 miles and was only able to fit in 8.5 because of the route I'd chosen and was happy enough not to run around the parking lot to bump it up to nine. But I still felt basically okay.

As expected, as the day wore on, I got stiffer and sorer. I also realized that I had pain around my left armpit. It felt suspiciously like a muscle pull, either in the pectoral muscle or one near there. It was bad enough to takes some NSAIDs before bed, which I don't like to do.

When I woke up this morning, instead of being better, the pain was worse. Much, much worse. It turns to even walk around. I ended up folding my arm up against my body to keep it from yanking on the sore spot and made my way to the doctors.

My doctor has Fridays off, so I saw a different one. I'd seen her before and thought she was fine. But she was vague about what was wrong with me. She didn't think I'd broken anything. Honestly, I'd never even thought of that. I was sure it was a muscle pull, but was worried it was a ligament or a bad enough tear that it would require surgery.

Luckily, it was not bad enough for that. But it is bad enough that she doesn't want me to do the Alcatraz swim I am signed up for on Monday. The one I've paid for. And have been training for all season. Okay, it's not really about the training as I didn't do much differently than normal. It's really the money that bothers me about that. And also that I wanted to cross doing Alcatraz off my list and didn't really want to do an Alcatraz race.

She did say I could do the World Championships since it's a much shorter swim under much better conditions. But what kind of time am I going to post if I can't swim between now and then?

Also, I realized afterwards that I can't really weight train either. I guess I'll have to stick to squats and stuff like that.

Not to mention, I still don't know which muscle I pulled. Maybe one of the little ones that attach to the ribs. Maybe one of the big ones that attached to the shoulder. Nothing that would show up in an x-ray. Just pain, probably for a few months.

This is so aggravating!
Post a Comment