Friday, November 7, 2008

Back from the ER

After the incident in my Hip Hop class where I almost fainted and Securitiy had to be called, I figured I'd sleep it off and feel fine n the morning.

But it didn't quite work out that way.

It started around 11 am when I decided to bail on my yucky protein shake and just drink a glass of milk. As I was drinking, I felt this kind of spasm and then a sharp stabbing pain under my left breast. Then, over the course of the day, it got worse. The pains got sharper and it became easier and easier to set them off. I also got a corresponding pain in my back that was more throbbing and chronic that the pain in front.

So around 1:00 pm, I had someone from work drive me to the ER at El Camino Hospital. I picked that one because it was close to work and they have a bariatic department. Later on, I realized I should have gone to Stanford because my family doctor has privileges there. I guess my brain wasn't quite working.

They admitted me pretty fast and started some tests. First they had me pee in a cup, took a bunch of blood out, gave me an EKG and a chest xray. All that went reasonably fast, well, ER fast, anyway. Then I got moved out of the "Fast Track" section of the ER and into a regular room. They told me a nurse would be in to see me and then abandoned me for almost an hour.

During that time, my pain became quite intense. In fact, at one point I was curled up in a little ball, crying. I had to tried to get someone's attention to get pain killers before (there was no call button in the room) without success, but this time when I went to the doorway, I must have looked like crap because suddenly people appeared out of nowhere to help me.

They started out giving me really good drugs -- toradol and something I never caught the name of but they said it was stronger than morphine. At one point they said my potassium was low and I had to choke down massive quantities
of liquid potassium (about 12 oz.). Then they came back and said my D-Dimer was "elevated". This could mean I had a blood clot or it could be that my D-Dimer is always like that. So I got sent for a CT scan.

It came back fine so they discharged me with some prescriptions for percocet and reglan. I never even cracked open the reglan I got when I came home from the hospital so I only filled the percocet scrip. Then I waited to see what would happen.

Oh wait, first I called Dr. Awesome. I don't think I fully communicated how much pain I was in and I definitely forgot to tell him about almost fainting at Hip Hop class. Because he seemed to think it was just that I recently started on solid food. But there isn't anyway that half a protein bar could be causing all this. He told me to come see him tomorrow just in case, though, and at that point I think we'll be able to get to the bottom of this.

Then, the pain meds from the hospital started to wear off, so I took some percocet. It took about two hours to actually start working. At which point, the nausea kicked in. That's such a rare reaction to pain meds for me that I almost forgot about the reglan. But eventually my brain did kick in and I did take some. And threw up anyway. Just water though, not the pain pills.

Then the itching intensified. Next I felt woozy whenever I was upright, but when I laid down, I was wide wake. Which is why I pretty much didn't get any sleep all night. The pain stayed a way until almost 6:00 am, though, so that's good.

I hope 8:30 am comes soon so I can get my appointment and get up to San Francisco to see the doctor.
Post a Comment